"My grandma waved to some people and they did not wave back i am so so somad at them" - Dream Journal







Monday, November 15, 2010

Ignorance Is Bliss

As I walked out of the classroom after the bell rang, not after the announcements, our discussion about Gogol's passiveness still lingered in my mind. It remained as I drove home from school, and as I started my Biology homework. Therefore, I decided I should probably just stop everything and  blog. So I did. I empathize with Gogol and his passiveness, as I recently experienced a similar situation, though it did not involve marriage complications. A couple of weeks ago at tennis states, we faced a five-time state championship team. Like Gogol, who feels scared to confront Moushumi about the potential marriage issues, I felt scared to find out the potential issues I might face against my opponent. When other people on my team were discovering that their opponents were ranked third in the nation, and state finalists, I was clearly not unearthing anything of the sorts. In the back of my head, I had a bad feeling about this girl, a bad feeling that she was pretty good. On the other hand, like Gogol, I did not want to hear it. I made the decision to be a little bit ignorant at that time in my life. When I got on the court, I looked over to find that my opponent fell within the 4'8 to 4'9 range, and I thought 'she's shorter than the net, I can beat her!' Yes, I realize the meanness of my thought. My presumptuousness did me no good, as shortie hit winners left and right...and annihilated me. Obviously, I felt extremely upset. Extremely similar to Gogol's situation, I knew that my opponent might be great, but I just did not want to know that losing might be in the cards. Before the match, life was good. After the loss, life was not so good. Therefore, I believe that ignorance is bliss in some cases, in particular my experience at states, as I only felt happiness and excitement before I found out that my opponent was a machine. Obviously, a tennis match does not greatly compare to a marriage. On the other hand, my experience at an important competition lead me to understand Gogol and his fear of confronting Moushumi in regards to their marriage. In Chapter 12, Moushumi might do to Gogol what shortie did to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment