"My grandma waved to some people and they did not wave back i am so so somad at them" - Dream Journal







Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Snowed In: The Side-Effects of Cabin Fever

        I have not left the house for three days now. I am becoming a recluse. My humble abode does not at all resemble an asylum, or the mental institute in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. On the other hand, staying pent up for the past three days has helped me to better understand how the patients could experience a severe change in behavior after remaining in the ward for an extended period of time. We do not carry out lobotomies here at my house, or any other medical procedures for that matter. Nonetheless, I have displayed many uncharacteristic behaviors after hiding from the snow for the past 72 hours.  
    First, I found myself cleaning my very own closet yesterday afternoon. My family refers to it as "Hurricane Katrina," as there are usually clothes strewn every which way. I trudge through a mountain of clothes in the morning when getting ready for school. I never clean my closet. I just wait until my mother can not take it any more, and begrudgingly cleans it herself. But not yesterday. I do not know what possessed me, but I actually cleaned my own closet. I am convinced that this out-of-body experience was a side-effect of cabin fever.
      Next, I started to read a book...leisurely. What? Soon after delving into Jodi Picoult's Plain Truth, I thought to myself, 'Sarah, what are you doing? Reading for fun?' As an AP English 12 student, I shamefully admit to my lack of leisurely reading. By Monday morning, desperation kicked in. The last time I'd stepped out into the open air had been Saturday. My eyes could not watch another minute of MTV. Therefore, I ventured over to the bookshelf and picked out a piece of quality literature. Once again, a rare occurrence.
      The things we resort to when we find ourselves snowed inside the house. I am not at all saying that most people are up in their closets folding and hanging clothes to overcome extreme boredom. Furthermore, I am not at all implying that my temporary indoor captivity at all measures up to that of the patients in the novel. I am just acknowledging the fact that I understand how the Chronics and other severe patients can no longer reenter into society. Not seeing the light of day for a long period of time can cause people to change and adopt new ways of living.       

The image above accurately represents the visibilty level out my window for the past three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment