"My grandma waved to some people and they did not wave back i am so so somad at them" - Dream Journal







Thursday, December 23, 2010

An Unaccepting Fan

        In conjunction to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, we have been discussing the unaccepting nature of society. Through reading such powerful works, we enable ourselves to look beyond our own perceptions of the world around us. I am a huge Cleveland Cavaliers fan. Sometimes my extreme fanaticism does not work in my favor. I tend to display an unprecedented amount of hostility towards those who do not support the Cleveland Cavaliers. After learning about the importance of accepting those different than ourselves through our AP English reading endeavours, I should be able accept the non- believers. On the other hand, I have not yet proved my ability to do so. This realization that I have come to, that I do not possess the ability to remain composed and cordial around the Cavs haters, just surfaced this Winter Break. It all started when Uncle Steve came into town from Pennsylvania. Let me tell you, Uncle Steve is a Boston Celtics fan. Obviously, I have a problem with it. At my grandparents house a few days ago, the intent of the gathering was to enjoy the family togetherness around the holidays. I did not enjoy sitting next to Uncle Steve at dinner, while he rambled on and on about the Celtics WONDERFUL season. A Cavs- Celtics Fight ensued. I dished the Celts, and Uncle Steve dished the Cavs... but mostly I dished the Celtics. Ironically, the next day at tennis, another Cavs argument ensued. Yes, I was in the midst of it once again. My tennis coach, a non-believer, made a disparaging  remark about the Cavaliers. Of course, my Cavs fanatic instincts kicked in, and I walked right over to defend my team.  I argued about the Cavs more than I played tennis that day.  I think I need to take a temporary break from the Cleveland Cavaliers until I can exercise enough self- control to constructively discuss sports with others. I now realize, after our extensive discussions in AP English, that I need to accept those who do not root for the Cavs.  I often look to convert my peers to into crazy Cavs fanatics, like myself. After this epiphany of mine, I promise to respect others for their support of sports teams besides the Cavs.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I enjoyed this post. Now that I know you won't try and kill me, I'm going to tell you that I'm not a huge Cavs fan. In fact, I'm not much of a basketball fan either. But I am a fan of a few sports teams, and in the sake of avoiding a blog debate, they shall remain nameless. But I have sort of experienced what you have recently, that we should accept our differences in our fanhood. Ok, maybe it's just because I've had my heart broken by Cleveland sports teams too many times, but still, accepting others and the teams they root for should be something everyone does. In the end, it is just a game.

    ReplyDelete