"My grandma waved to some people and they did not wave back i am so so somad at them" - Dream Journal







Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Rewind



         Wow. I did not at all expect to find out that Teddy Daniels, in fact, does not exist, in the film Shutter Island today. I did not expect to find out that this man, whom I knew to be Teddy Daniels, suffers from hallucinations, and probably a host of other psychological disorders, and committed many crimes to land him on Shutter Island. And then, to add to the confusion, we learn that Rachel does not exist...and never escaped? I titled this scene of the film "Inception Part II," as I once again watched the screen dumbfounded and thoroughly confused, as I did when watching the final scene of the film Inception this summer. I do not know if I should believe the doctor and his claims about the world this Andrew, who I previously knew as Daniels, made for himself to cope with his violent behavior and acts of crime. Honestly, I feel a bit of disappointment after today's discoveries. I wished for Rachel, Daniels, and Chuck to all hop onto a ferry and all become friends on the ride back to the mainland. Then, I find out these people do not exist. Great. Excellent. First, I wonder how I did not at all see this coming. Secondly, my happy ending can not happen anymore. Ultimately, I do not believe that the real ending will provide me with a tremendous amount of dissatisfaction. Realistically, I believe that the end to the film Shutter Island will carry across a powerful message about the nature of mental institutions and mental health care of the 1950's. Or at least I hope it does...or I will go back to being slightly disappointed that Daniels, Rachel, and Chuck do not exist, and will not wave goodbye to Shutter Island from a ferry boat.  

3 comments:

  1. When I first saw this movie I had the exact same reaction when watching of wanting his fantasy reality to actually exist and a happy ending to occur. I also feel that Inception and Shutter Island have many similarites and they give the same mind-blown, shocked, awesome feeling throughout both. Even though the ending to this movie did not show them waving from the ferry like you hoped, I still feel satisfied and like the conclusion of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Carolyn I too had a similar reaction and was completely duped at the end. I had no idea things would turn out the way that they did. I agree that Inception also has ties to Shutter Island and I find it interesting that you also thought of that connection. I had seen both movies and I had actually gotten scenes from this one mixed up with the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Carolyn I too had a similar reaction and was completely duped at the end. I had no idea things would turn out the way that they did. I agree that Inception also has ties to Shutter Island and I find it interesting that you also thought of that connection. I had seen both movies and I had actually gotten scenes from this one mixed up with the other.

    ReplyDelete