"My grandma waved to some people and they did not wave back i am so so somad at them" - Dream Journal







Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Belligerents of AP English 12

            If you can believe it, I, Randle Patrick McMurphy, took AP English in 12th grade. “Oh, I’m a thinker all right,”(107).  I was fully capable of taking that class. I acted similarly in that class to the way I act now, and I am not sure how much my teacher Ms. Feyrensky appreciated it. If there is one thing I know for sure, that Ms. Feyrensky liked me more than “Old Lady Ratched”(216). She hates me. The funny thing is, I am surprised that Ratched did not see the likes of me much earlier, in particular April 8th of my senior year, the day I flew off the wall in English class. I nearly landed myself in a mental institution. Afterwards, a classmate of mine Kaleigh said, “Deep breathes, it’s not the end of the world.” Ms. Feyrensky looked a little concerned. Here is what happened. It was the morning of April 8th, 2011. Ms. Feyrensky chose me to read a part in the Oscar Wilde play that we were reading in class at the time, The Importance of Being Earnest I believe. Anyhow, despite my belligerent nature, I did not feel at all capable enough to successfully fulfill my role as a character. In the institution, I am always causing a stir or putting on a production, like the time I was sent up to disturbed after an altercation with a few workers. The time I screamed at Washington, “You’re nothing but a…“(273). The rest should remain unspoken. Despite my constant dramatics, I did not satisfactorily read my part. My uncharacteristic monotone did not meet Ms. Feyrensky’s standards. She stopped me and encouraged me to put more passion into my role. I declined, but not in the most civil of manners. I told her straight up, “Ms. Feyrensky, you chose me to read this part, I didn’t even want to.” I never have a problem speaking my mind. I had an outburst in which Ms. Feyrensky did not see coming. I was all fired up, and speaking in a disrespectful manner. Usually, I feel as if I am bettering the greater good when I speak my mind. Like when I spoke up to Nurse Ratched and took the boys on a fishing trip. This was the one time that I did not feel that way. I disrespected Ms. Feyrensky and I regret it. I mean she never scared me and went off on me. She was not even scary. Half of the freshman class was taller than her. In other words, how could she be scary? I have issues with anyone who publically announces or insinuates that she scares the freshman. She did not even scare the freshman. An apology is probably still in order, though it was years ago. I’m sorry, Ms. Feyrensky.  That was the worst day ever in AP English 12.
 

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I love how you creatively related McMurphy to our AP English class. How swimmingly he fits in! I, too, understand how difficult it is to participate in a class when you do not want to, especially reading out loud. It’s always an unnerving task, and one that only certain people can fully except and appreciate. Ultimately, I believe McMurphy was right in questioning his reading requirement, however, he could have approached it in a kinder way.

    ReplyDelete